Thursday 17 November 2011

Park Hill Marmite?

Park Hill flats of Sheffield. An iconic landmark known by everyone who has spent time in Sheffield. 

" This amazing concrete landmark, the most ambitious inner- city development of its time was opened in 1961 to replace slum terraces. It was hugely popular place to live, with its 'streets in the sky' and innovative external decks for access"













For the last few years park hill has been an empty and daunting concrete shell. The largest listed building in Europe.
Around two years ago I went round the back of the flats to take photos of the Kid Acne Graffiti, and was amazed by the sheer scale of the place. I was used to seeing the streets in the sky everyday of my life, but from a distance. It  loomed over me with a great atmosphere of sadness and neglect. I couldn't help but imagine the life that the place must have once had.

As a native Sheffielder , who has pride in my city. I find myself drawn to the concrete maze on the horizon of my city. A few weeks ago I looked out my window of the flat I currently live in - at the bottom of London road towards the familiar view of Park Hill in the distance , to see a bright rainbow which appeared to be coming out of the streets in the sky. - call me cheesy but I thought it was a really poignant moment which to me represented the coming of something new to the flats. something  which represented new hope in the old building.

The images of the new renovation that I have seen look amazing - Park Hill is really shaking off its bad reputation due to the fresh ideas and character that has been put into the place . i read a quote somewhere that park hill was an old lady who needed to wash her face and put on a new dress, and she would be ready to hit the town. - This is exactly what the new renovation has done. The brightly coloured panels , shiny
corkscrew stair case and large windows have really made such a huge difference. Even the famous graffiti on one of the bridges which holds the phrase " I love you will u marry me" has been immortalised in neon lights. - And also by Alex Turner who wore the phrase on a T shirt to a gig in LA.

The renovation - which once seemed like a colossal risk , seems to have been accomplished really well by its designers Urban Splash. It's now a new colourfull place full of potential, creativity and hope. Life has been given back to Park Hill, and I really hope that it can be pulled off to the end properly.

Today I found myself on the website , subscribing to their news letter,  following them on twitter - and maybe even dreaming of a future in a brand new flat there. Something i never thought i would do.

So Park Hill -like Marmite- love it or hate it?  Think I'll go with love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment